Monday 27 July 2015

Homemade Sweet Potato Mash - Paleo / Reboot

Moving from regular mashed potatoes to sweet potato mash was a gradual transition. It wasn't that mashed potatoes was a regular dish in my home, and that is why it was difficult. It was because the thought of mashing up sweet potatoes and expecting it to satisfy as normal mashed potatoes did, was not aligning well in my mind.

One was savory and the other, naturally sweet.

I tried this on my second Reboot Challenge and I have since been a huge fan of sweet potato mash!

When I am feeling experimental someday, I will make sweet potato mash as my Mom used to make normal mashed potatoes - with a bit of crushed garlic, finely chopped green chili, spring onions and coriander and dollops of butter. But ofcourse, I will swap out the butter with coconut oil. :-)

This is how I made my sweet potato mash

Ingredients
A steamer or any microwavable dish with a lid
3 - 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Himalayan Pink Salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
1 Tablespoon cashew nut butter or Macadamia Nut butter

Method
Place sweet potato pieces in a steamer and steam for 20 minutes. If the potatoes are still hard, allow it to steam for another 10 - 15 minutes until a knife or skewer pierces a sweet potato easily.
Transfer steamed sweet potato into a glass bowl and then add the coconut oil, salt, black pepper and nut butter of choice and mash together well.

You will notice that because the sweet potatoes were not in direct contact with the water, they are much more creamier when mashed up. The texture is velvety and rich in taste. Not at all watered down.

Taste and if more salt is required, top up accordingly.

Sweet potato mash preparation  - made with
orange flesh sweet potato

 
Sweet potatoes in the steamer - normal white flesh sweet poatoes

My 25 yr old Nutri Stahl pot/steamer set

Simply delicious :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment