When I went to the East with my friends, (Beijing, Hong Kong and Singapore) there was a restaurant in Beijing that our tour guide took us to, which served the best Peking duck in the whole of China (at least that was her opinion) beside the Peking duck, (with fried scorpions on the side) we had THE most amazing cauliflower and potato soup that I have ever tasted, or attempted to make. That beautiful taste still lingers in my memory :-)
Many attempts by myself to recreate that gorgeous velvety taste, but none came close! This attempt was the closest I have come. It was about 80% there :-)
1 Large Onion chopped in chunks
1 small to medium sized cauliflower head - chopped (small florets)
2 small or 1 medium sweet potato(s) - Peeled and chopped
1 heaped teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1.5 liters of water
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Fresh parsley or coriander
1/2 can coconut cream or coconut milk
- Heat coconut oil in a saucepan, and brown chunks of onion on medium to high heat
- Add garlic and spices and stir and then add chopped cauliflower and sweet potato
- Stir well until the spices are mixed well with the veg
- Lower the heat and add salt to taste and then either cover the pot and allow to simmer on the stove or transfer to a slow cooker.
- After 15 minutes add the water and bring to a boil.
- Continue to cook for another 30 minutes to an hour,
- Turn of heat and allow to cool - if you have a blender like mine that pops its lid when hot substances are liquidised. Once cooled, then liquidise.
Alternatively, use your stick blender and blend in the pot.
Taste and if it needs more salt and/or pepper add accordingly. If it is too thick, add more water.
You can add if you like, half a can of coconut cream or coconut milk (Jemz or homemade) to the pot of soup, for additional creaminess, alternatively, just serve as is, with a dollop of coconut cream and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley or coriander for each serving.
|Cauliflower and Sweet potato soup cooking|
|Cauliflower and Sweet potato soup - served|