Monday 6 July 2015

Chocolate Coconut Pancakes - Paleo


During my new healthy eating lifestyle, (Reboot - based on Paleo) I found out that there are wonderful things that can be made without flour, sugar and dairy. There are a plethora of websites on Paleo recipes but some clash with my way of eating, which is zero butter, sugar or natural and artificial sweeteners.

I found a coconut flour pancake recipe which I was eager to try out - especially for those times of the month when you become The Hulk and want to eat like one! :-)

I tweaked it a little and turned them into a decadence.

Here's what I did:

I put a non stick frying pan (a small one - side plate sized or smaller) on meduim - high heat to sort of "preheat" itself, and then...

I took the following ingredients:
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (Baking Soda)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons of natural cocoa powder - unsweetened

I mixed these dry ingredients well in a bowl

In a separate bowl I mixed the following ingredients:
3 large eggs
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - you can also use the pod and scrape the vanilla from the inside.

How I cooked them:
I mixed the liquid ingredients really well and then poured it into the dry ingredients bowl and lightly mixed it until dry ingredients were mixed well. Once the batter was made - almost running consistency, I dropped a few drops of coconut oil into the preheated frying pan, and poured two heaped tablespoons of batter into it.  I let it cook for 1 minute until I saw bubbles on the top of the pancake.  I then flipped it over and let it cook for another minute.

They came out light and fluffy and smelled great! - It made four pancakes (slightly smaller than a side plate) which could easily serve two people, or save two in the fridge for breakfast the next day :-)

I then became really creative, driven by the Hulk inside of me :-) haha!

I took a tablespoon of Date Paste (which I made by enhancing the recipe I had - just cooked the dates for 30 minutes before cooling and liquidising) and spread it over one side of the pancake, and then covered it with another pancake. I chopped up bananas, strawberries, raspberries and pecan nuts and topped the pancake with the fruit first, and the used a large dollop of Coconut Cream and some more date paste, before sprinkling the pecan nuts on top.

It looked like a princess of all pancakes!

What do you think?







Toppings can be modified as well, like this one I made last night. I used Macadamia Nut Butter and sliced bananas. You can use Cashew or Almond Nut Butter as well - as long as it is in the Reboot Allowed Foods list.






Enjoy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment